On Friday, November 19, the Japan Comparative Education Society is hosting a webinar from 18:00-21:15, Japan Standard Time (JST) on the “Expected Roles of Comparative Education, Academic Societies in Asia: Past, Present, and Future Prospects” featuring NORRAG Consultative Committee Member Dr. Baocun Liu, who will be speaking during Session 1 (18:15-19:30): “Sharing case studies on Comparative Education and academic society in the countries and regions—East Asia.” Register for the event here.
About the event
The international webinar will gather the presidents and officers of Comparative Education academic societies as well as scholars in the field in Asia. It aims to provide a forum of discussion to explore responses to various questions, including: how the Comparative Education academic societies in respective countries/areas first came into being; how they have evolved into what they are today; what roles they play today/are expected to play in the future, in their respective countries/areas; and what roles researchers in Comparative Education can or should play now and in a post Covid-19 world.
18:00 – 18:15: Opening remarks by Dr. Yuto Kitamura, Professor, Graduate School of Education, The University of Tokyo, and Chair, JCES International Exchange Committee
18:15 – 19:30: Session 1: Sharing case studies on Comparative Education and academic society in the countries and regions—East Asia, moderated by Dr. Jing Liu, Associate Professor, Tohoku University, Japan
Featuring the following speakers (representing Japan, China, Korea, and Hong Kong):
- Dr. Miki Sugimura, Professor, Sophia University, and President, Japan Comparative Education Society (JCES)
- Dr. Baocun Liu, Professor and Director, Institute of International and Comparative Education, Beijing Normal University, and Director, China Comparative Education Society
- Dr. Jonghyeok Yoon, Senior Research Fellow, Korean Educational Development Institute (KEDI)
- Dr. Jae Park, Assistant Professor, Department of International Education, The Education University of Hong Kong, and President, Comparative Education Society of Hong Kong
19:30 – 19:45: Break
19:45 – 20:30: Session 2: Sharing case studies on Comparative Education and academic society in the countries and regions—ASEAN, moderated by Dr. Jing Liu, Associate Professor, Tohoku University, Japan
Featuring the following speakers (representing Philippines, Vietnam, and Malaysia):
- Dr. Virgilio Manzano, Professor and Dean, Institute of Graduate and Advanced Studies, Urdaneta City University, and President, Comparative Education Society of the Philippines
- Dr. Tăng Thị Thùy, Head of Department of Educational Evaluation, Faculty of Quality Management, VNU-University of Education
- Dr. Vishalache Balakrishnan, Director of Centre for Research in International and Comparative Education (CRICE), University of Malaya
20:30 – 21:00: Session 3: Open Discussion, moderated by Dr.Yuji Utsumi, Associate Professor, Nagoya University, Japan
21:00 – 21:15: Next steps and Closing remarks by Dr. Kazuo Kuroda, Professor and Dean, Graduate School of Asia-Pacific Studies, Waseda University, and Chair, WCCES Research Standing Committee
To register, please click here.