Type: Associate Officer
Organization: Geneva Global Hub for Education in Emergencies (EiE Hub)
Reporting to: Coordinator
Proposed Dates: Up to 12 months from 15 August 2023
Continued access to quality and safe education during and after conflict, violence, disaster or epidemics plays an important role for crises-affected and displaced children, youth, families and communities. And yet, the right to education during and after these periods of emergencies and protracted crises is unevenly addressed by governments, the international community, donors and other stakeholders. Education in emergencies (EiE) is crucial for the protection and resilience of individuals as well as for the social and economic fabric and recovery of crisis-affected communities. Today, millions of school-aged children are not in school and approximately half of them live in countries affected by crisis and conflict. Many of those in school are not benefiting from a safe and quality education.
Faced with the under-prioritisation and underfunding of education in emergencies (EiE), and given the magnitude of the challenge, the members of the Geneva Global Hub for Education in Emergencies (EiE Hub) come together to form a strong alliance of 42 like-minded states and organisations to step up visibility, political and operational commitment, and funding for EiE. Their objective is to break down existing silos and harness the potential that International Geneva offers to effect change for EiE. They catalyse joint action, promote policy dialogue, and facilitate multistakeholder synergies and partnerships. This will contribute to ensuring the continuity and delivery of safe, quality education for crisis-affected children and youth.
The Geneva Global Hub for Education in Emergencies is recruiting an Associate Officer to support the day-to-day activities and the implementation of the work plan.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide project support as relevant, including consolidation of information, analysis and reporting
- Support the development of analysis, reports, proposals and surveys, as required
- Contribute to the organization of, and attend relevant side events and meetings
- Provide logistical and technical support for online and in-person events (Teams or similar), including webinar management, development of registration links, keeping track of registrations and updating lists
- Develop communication content, including programs and flyers for social media, for engagement with a wide range of stakeholders (UN, governments, civil society, youth)
- Take notes of calls, including a summary of decisions and a record of members of the task team (organisations and focal points)
- Keep mailing lists up to date
- Any other task that is relevant to the above-mentioned topics
- Recently completed studies in humanitarian affairs, international relations or a related field
- Related first experience in the humanitarian, development or human-rights field an asset
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) in English; French is an asset
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong research and writing skills desired
- Strong planning and organizational skills an asset and ability to work independently
- Solid knowledge of information technology systems and tools, as well as social media an asset (e.g. Outlook, Teams, SurveyMonkey, Canva)
We offer a dynamic environment to learn, practice and develop, through:
- a gross monthly salary commensurate with the experience of the candidate, including all mandatory insurances
- continuous support and supervision from the Secretariat team with strong competencies in the field
- an excellent first employment opportunity for a recent graduate, the possibility to create a wide professional network and solid on-the-job learning
The EiE Hub’s recruitment policy encourages diversity and equality.
Please note that the EiE Hub is unable to sponsor a work visa for this position; the candidate shall hold a valid work permit in Switzerland.
How to Apply:
Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- A copy of your CV
- A cover letter setting out your experience and motivation
Apply before COB Mondy 3 July; applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.