NORRAG and the Sheikh Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi Foundation for Policy Research launched ‘Philanthropy in Education: Diverse Perspectives and Global Trends’, edited by Natasha Y. Ridge, Executive Director, Sheikh Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi Foundation for Policy Research, and Arushi Terway, Senior Lead Research Associate, NORRAG.
This is the second volume of the open-access book series entitled NORRAG Series in International Education and Development, published by E. Elgar Cheltenham, UK. The books in the series intend to generate an international debate on emerging trends in education and provide space for authors that represent diverse perspectives and knowledge communities.
The second volume, available in Open Access at E. Elgar Online, contributes to the emerging debates on the approaches and role of philanthropy in international education development. It was launched on 22 November 2019.
With the expansion in both the number and influence of philanthropic organisations working in the education sector, this volume takes a unique perspective by bringing together a range of authors with diverse backgrounds to explore some of the most pressing issues facing those working in and engaging with philanthropy and education today. The authors explore the many ways in which philanthropic actors are engaging not only with local education sectors, in a variety of countries including Brazil, Peru, Nigeria, the USA and India, but also larger trends in the sector such as new approaches to finance, the role of global policy partnerships and expanded possibilities for corporate social responsibility through corporate foundations. Authors also examine and challenge commonly held perceptions of actor relationships in the philanthropic spaces and the need for greater collaboration and communication between national governments, international organisations, academia and philanthropic organisations.
Listen to the NORRAG Podcast with Natasha Ridge and Arushi Terway announcing and discussing the book rationale and content or watch the video below.
How to read Philanthropy in Education: Diverse Perspectives and Global Trends:
- Available online in Open Access at E. Elgar Online
- Order a paperback or eBook copy at E.Elgar shop (production costs apply)
Recommend Philanthropy in Education: Diverse Perspectives and Global Trends to your library at the following link (click recommend).
Click here for a preview of the book.
Contents of the book:
- Introduction (Arushi Terway)
- Philanthropic and impact investors: private sector engagement, hybridity and the problem of definition (Prachi Srivastava & Robyn Read)
- The IEFG: role of a philanthropic affinity network within global education (Megan Haggerty, Bronwen Magrath & Gordana Kelava)
- Tackling the global education crisis: the UBS Optimus Foundation’s use of social finance (Maya Ziswiler & Arushi Terway)
- Education and philanthropy in the Middle East and North Africa (Natasha Y. Ridge, Susan Kippels & Elizabeth R. Bruce)
- The global growth of higher education philanthropy and fundraising (Noah D. Drezner)
- Collaboration in development between U.S. foundations and African universities (Fabrice Jaumont & Teboho Moja)
- A will in search of a way: philanthropy in education in Peru (Matthew D. Bird & Vicente M. León)
- Corporate social responsibility and education reform in Brazil: a critical analysis (Heitor Santos)
- Interrogating corporate philanthropy in education: the case of Nigeria (Inyang Udo-Umoren)
- New philanthropy and global policy networks in education: the case of Argentina (Iván Matovich & Alejandra Cardini)
- Concluding thoughts: new philanthropy, age-old problems (Natasha Y. Ridge)
Subscribe to NORRAG Podcast at the following link.