Job board: Programme Specialist (Education), UNESCO
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED) and the direct supervision of the Director of the Future of Learning and Innovation team (ED/FLI), the incumbent will be responsible for the Education Research and Foresight programme. Serving as a think tank to reimagine education and leverage knowledge for just and sustainable futures, the Future of Learning and Innovation team comprises three strands of work:
(1) Education research and foresight which aims to shape global policy debate on the future of education;
(2) Technologies and learning which aims to steer human-centered digital transformations in education, and
(3) Knowledge and innovation which aims to encourage interdisciplinary research through university networks.
The incumbent will lead the Education, Research and Foresight programme in close cooperation with the Division’s other two strands of work. Building on a continuous review of research production, an analysis of both global education policy and emerging megatrends, as well as consultations with various constituencies, the Education research and foresight programme reinforces UNESCO’s observatory function in education. Through more synergetic research and foresight, the programme activities aim to strengthen UNESCO’s capacity to guide, inform and lead the global debate on the future of education.
Within this context, the incumbent’s main responsibilities will be to:
- Lead research and knowledge generation on the future of education and learning, including the planning and implementation of the Education Research and Foresight (ERF) Working Papers series, and the IdeasLab blog on the Futures of Education.
- Conceptualize/design and lead development of regional and global studies on knowledge, learning and education in the context of current/future disruptions.
- Strengthen and expand policy-research-action engagement activities around the futures of education, through more targeted outreach activities, in close cooperation with UNESCO Education Sector entities (field offices, institutes and Paris-based teams), as well as other external partners.
- Monitor and analyze national/local dynamics of educational renewal and or transformation.
- Contribute to monitoring the impact of UNESCO knowledge production in education.
- Lead and coordinate programme planning, budgeting, commissioning and contracting, activity implementation, monitoring and evaluation and reporting for activities under the Education, Research and Foresight Programme.
- Mobilize resources for programmes and projects and coordinate funding initiatives.
- Prepare briefings, statements, reports for formal reporting as required.
- Advanced university degree (equivalent to Masters) in the field of comparative education, global education policy, development studies, economics, political science, the social sciences or in closely related field(s).
- Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible relevant experience in the field of education policy research, of which preferably at least 3 years acquired at the international level.
- Experience in designing, planning, implementing, managing and evaluating education programs/projects with strong knowledge/research components.
- Experience of research networking/partnerships at regional and/or international levels.
- Proven track record in published research, including in peer reviewed journals.
Skills and Competencies
- Strong analytical and synthesis skills.
- Strategic thinker able to identify key strategic issues.
- Ability to synthesize data and evidence from various sources.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively in public fora.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships across multiple internal entities and external partners.
- Excellent drafting skills.
- Leadership expertise, including the ability to establish priorities, manage and motivate staff and teams and to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English and good knowledge of French.