CHIEF EDUCATION MONITORING
- Post Number : ED/PA 217
- Grade : P-5
- Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
- Duty Station: Paris
- Job Family: Education
- Type of contract : Project Appointment
- Duration of contract : 1 year
- Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
- Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 20-SEP-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of contract: 1 year with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
The Global Education Monitoring Report (GEM Report) is an editorially independent, authoritative, evidence-based annual report that monitors progress in education in the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which were adopted as part of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The Report is funded by a group of governments, multilateral agencies and foundations, and published annually by UNESCO since 2002 to serve the international community. It is widely recognized as an indispensable technical and advocacy resource supporting the achievement of SDG 4, which aims to ensure “inclusive and equitable quality education” and promote “lifelong learning for all” by 2030. With its renewed mandate, established in the Incheon Declaration of the World Education Forum in May 2015, the annual GEM Report series identify effective education policies and analyses major education themes.
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED), and the supervision of the Director of Global Education Monitoring Report (GEM), the incumbent will be responsible to lead the monitoring function and the writing of substantive parts of the Report. The incumbent will manage a team of researchers and analysts contributing to the Report. In particular, the incumbent’s main accountabilities will include the following:
- Lead the GEMR monitoring function and contribute to the overall development of the Report.
- Draft an outline for the monitoring part of the Report.
- Directly manage a team of researchers and analysts, and provide research supervision to at least five members of the research team, including in support of the Spotlight project.
- Commission external research in agreed areas.
- Develop innovative ideas for quantitative data analysis for education monitoring and policy analysis.
- Undertake relevant quantitative and analytical work on a wide range of issues.
- Draft chapters of the Report.
- Contribute to the editing of the final Report.
- Coordinate the quantitative online resources of the report: SCOPE, VIEW and WIDE.
- Coordinate the Report’s contribution to the international education monitoring (e.g., SDG 4 benchmarking, GPE monitoring, Education Finance Watch).
- Stay in touch with relevant developments in research on education.
- Lead, where necessary, in the drafting of policy papers and blogs.
- Present the Report and represent the team in public events and media.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in education, economics, politics, development studies or other relevant social science discipline, or in applied statistics/data science.
- Minimum ten (10) years of progressively responsible professional work experience in research on comparative or international education and development issues, of which preferably 5 years acquired at international level.
- Experience leading and managing professional teams, in particular in managing policy analysts, researchers and consultants.
- Track record of publications relevant to the field of education.
Skills and Competencies
- Broad understanding of a wide range of public policy issues in education in different countries/regions.
- Excellent quantitative skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to write for specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Ability to work innovatively to tight deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Excellent IT skills, including knowledge of MS software (Word, Excel etc.).
- Excellent knowledge (spoken and written) of English.
- Knowledge of another UNESCO Official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is 125,011 US $.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.