The Swiss Development Corporation (SDC) Education & Multilateral Networks and UNICEF invite you to their webinar titled, “The COVID-19 Education Response in complex emergencies – learnings from one year on.” It will take place on Thursday, 27 May 2021, from 12:00-13:30 CET.
Access the webinar HERE.
The COVID-19 pandemic has been the worst shock to education systems in a century, with the longest school closures combined with the worst recessions in decades. More than 1.6 billion children have lost instructional time for many months at a time, if not for much of the last year, and many children are still not back in school. This webinar will discuss learnings one year on and focus on UNICEF’s COVID-19 Education Response in complex emergencies such as Syria, followed by a Q+A and discussion with webinar participants.
The webinar will begin with the global picture on the impact on children’s education, what has been learned and what the priorities are going forward. Then, a deep dive into Syria–a country that is already in a complex emergency situation. The UNICEF Country Office will discuss its education response highlighting the importance of coordination response in reopening schools; multi-sectoral approaches; the challenges and diverse responses required, and how the office is using COVID-19 as an opportunity to move forward.
- Opening of session: Liliane Tarnutzer, Focal Point Unicef & Multilateral Network at Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation
- Global Perspective on the Impact of COVID on Education and priorities moving forward: Linda Jones, Senior Education Advisor UNICEF HQ New York
- Syria Country Office reflections on their Education response, learnings and opportunities: Bo Viktor Nylund, UNICEF Representative Syria
- Moderated discussion and Q+A: Yvonne Diallo, Advisor Migration/Education in Emergencies, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation
- Closing remarks: Sandra Boulos, Program Manager Syria, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation
For Info: The webinar is part of a series of events organized by the SDC Education Network in collaboration with partners throughout 2021. They are linked to the 4 main objectives of Switzerland’s International Cooperation Strategy 2021-24: Economic Development and Jobs; Environment and Climate Change; Human Development and Migration; Governance, Peace and Rule of Law. This webinar refers to the IC-Strategy Objective on Human Development. More information about the SDC Education Network activities and resources can be found on this website.