On Wednesday, 15 February from 9:00am – 10:30am CET, the African Center for Economic Transformation (ACET) and the Center for Global Development (CGD) are hosting the webinar “Africa Taking Charge of its Future: Revamping Education and Training for the Fourth Industrial Revolution.”
About the event
One-fifth of the global population under the age of 25 now resides in rapidly growing Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), the world’s youngest region. With the right education and training, this population could be a great asset for development and provide a comparative advantage in world markets. However, high and rising youth unemployment rates threaten to disrupt this potential workforce, exacerbated by low secondary enrolment rates and a lack of high quality and relevant learning. Supported by Mastercard Foundation, the African Center for Economic Transformation (ACET) has undertaken a multi-country study that examines how education and training systems are adjusting to meet labor demands given the impact of a Fourth Industrial Revolution on the changing nature of work.
In this webinar, ACET in collaboration with the Center for Global Development (CGD), will present the results of its study and stimulate an exchange between policymakers and experts working to promote youth employment, education, and training on the African continent. Experts and senior officials from countries highlighted in the report will discuss feasible polices to strengthen education systems and develop a skilled African workforce.
- Mavis Owusu-Gyamfi, Executive Vice President, African Center for Economic Transformation (ACET)
- Mona Iddrisu, Head, Youth Employment and Skills, African Center for Economic Transformation (ACET)
- Layla Alfari, Director, Ministry of Employment, Niger
- Biniam Bedasso, Senior Research Associate, Center for Global Development
- Louise Fox, Non-resident Senior Fellow, Africa Growth Initiative, Brookings Institution
- Khadidia Sidibé Ndiaye, Technical Advisor, State Secretariat for Technical Education and Vocational Training, Côte d’Ivoire
- Priscilla Twumasi Baffour, Senior Lecturer & Economist, University of Ghana
- Gyude Moore, Senior Policy Fellow, Center for Global Development (CGD)
- Ed Brown, Senior Director, Research & Policy Engagements, African Center for Economic Transformation (ACET)
If you have questions for the panelists, please submit them to firstname.lastname@example.org, tweet @CGDev #CGDTalks, or submit your comments via YouTube.