- Collaborative Programmes
- Institutional partnerships
- Other collaborations
REAL, the Centre for Researching Education and Labour, of the University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa, and NORRAG have established an International Collaborative Programme of Work in Education, Skills and Labour Policy. The broad purpose of the programme is the sharing and dissemination of their knowledge, research, insights and perspectives with local, regional and international stakeholders.
The joint vision is to engage in the fields of knowledge creation and dissemination as well as policy dialogue on skills development, education and labour, with the aim of contributing in an informed and evidence-based manner to the South African, regional, continental and international debates on skills, education and training policies. The overall objective is to improve the quality of Technical and Vocational Education and Skills Development.
The collaborative programme will commence with three main themes:
- Skills Development, TVET and Adult Education in South Africa, Southern African Development Community and BRICS, with a focus on the interactions between national, regional and international policies
- Emerging role of the BRICS in the global governance of education and training
- Urban violence, education and training policies
Recent activities include:
- Two events on “Reaching the Unreached : Skills Development Policies and the Promise of ICT” and "Education, Training and Agenda 2030 - What Progress? Perspectives from South Africa" (4 April 2017, Johannesburg)
- Launch of the study on "Reaching the Unreached: Skills Development Policies and the Promise of ICT – A Scoping Study from India and South Africa" with AMMACHI Labs at Amrita University.
- The completion of the triangular research on “Understanding barriers to accessing skills development and employment for youth in Argentina and South Africa in a comparative and international perspective”. The Synthesis Report, produced by REAL, IDES and NORRAG is available here.
- The organisation of a REAL internal workshop to promote the Collaborative Programme on the topic of the barriers to employment study held on 2 December 2015
- The launch of a REAL & NORRAG Policy Brief Series on TVET and TVSD in Africa.
A formal launch of the collaborative programme was held on 23rd February 2016 in Johannesburg.
Publications and resources:
>> REAL and NORRAG Policy Brief series on TVET and TVSD in Africa
>> Research Report #1 on "Understanding Barriers to Accessing Skills Development and Employment for Youth in Argentina and South Africa: Synthesis Report" by Peliwe Lolwana, Siphelo Ngcwangu, Claudia Jacinto, Verónica Millenaar and María Eugenia Martín (December 2015)