Economization, Commodification, Digitalization: The Emergence of a Global Education Industry (16-17 February, Frankfurt am Main)
The Symposium, held at Goethe-University, examines the rationales, processes, and impacts of Economization, Commodification and Digitalization; arguable, all products as well as producers of the emerging Global Education Industry.
The presentations will bring forward debates from research and practice dealing with the Global Education Industry.
Prof. Gita Steiner-Khamsi, representing NORRAG along with Alexandra Draxler, is a member of the organising team and will make a presentation on "Businesses Seeing like a State, Governments Calculating like a Business" during the second panel.
Panel 1: Promoting Education for Economic Survival
Prof. Dr. Frank-Olaf Radtke (Goethe-University Frankfurt/M, Germany)
- Prof. Dr. Antoni Verger & Clara Fontdevila (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain)
Private Actors, Interests and Networks in the Promotion of pro-Market Educational Reforms
- Prof. Dr. Christopher Lubienski (Indiana University, US)
Advocacy Coalitions and Market Models for Education
- Dr. Natasha Ridge & Susan Kippels (Sheikh Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi Foundation, RAK, UAE)
Helping the world or helping themselves? Has UNESCO become a pay for play organization at odds with its mandate of realizing (the same quality of) education for all?
- Prof. Dr. Marcelo Parreira do Amaral (University of Münster, Germany)
Embedding Education Research in the European Economic Imaginary?
Prof. Dr. Florian Waldow (Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany)
Panel 2: Commodities, Equities, and the Transformation of Education
Prof. Dr. Christiane Thompson (Goethe-University Frankfurt/M, Germany)
- Prof. Dr. Eva Hartmann (Copenhagen Business School, Denmark)
The Internationalization of Education through the Marketization of Corporate Education
- Prof. Dr. Gita Steiner-Khamsi (Teachers College, Columbia University New York, US, The Graduate Institute, Geneva and NORRAG)
Businesses Seeing like a State, Governments Calculating like a Business
- Prof. Dr. Bob Lingard (University of Queensland, Australia)
The Global Education Industry in Australian Schooling: A Critical Case Analysis
Prof. Dr. Karin Amos (University of Tübingen, Germany)
Keynote Presentation by Prof. Dr. Stephen J. Ball (IOE University College London, UK)
Michael and Susan go investing: the Michael and Susan Dell Foundation (MSDF) and the fuzzy relations between philanthropy and business in education
Panel 3: Global Digital Futures
Prof. Dr. Marcelo Parreira do Amaral (University of Münster, Germany)
- Prof. Dr. Stephen Carney (Roskilde University, Denmark)
Social Enterprise, Education and Performative ‘Development’
- Prof. Dr. Christiane Thompson (Goethe-University Frankfurt/M, Germany)
The Globalized Expert. On the Transformation and Authorization of Educational Research
- Prof. Dr. Karin Amos (University of Tübingen, Germany)
Virtually human? The Terasem Movement and Education
- Prof. Dr. Ralf Lankau (Hochschule Offenburg, Germany)
Think different or: How to teach without a tablet
Prof. Dr. Thomas Höhne (Helmut-Schmidt-University, Hamburg)